Sunday, October 16, 2005

Norm

One of my best friends in college was a guy nicknamed "Norm" because he was heavy set and jovial just like the popular "Cheers" sitcom character. It was a shame "The King of Queens" hadn't hit the airwaves yet because Norm looks and acts exactly like the Kevin James character "Doug Heffernin."

This resemblance was never made more clear than when I was visiting him once and he asked me "Do you want to go out for some Wings? There's a place down the street with a sign that says, 'Best Wings in Chicago.'"

I told Norm that I was still feeling a little rough from last night and that he'd have to go on ahead without me.

He left, with a passion for hot wings and the best spring in his step that a 280 pound man could muster.

An hour later Norm came back with a hang-dog expression.

"How were the 'Best Wings in Chicago?,'" I asked.

He lifted his head in disappointment, "They weren't even the best wings I've had today."