Sunday, August 06, 2006

Recent Email Exchange

From: Mike
To: Russ
Subject: Why I Hated Law School
Date: Sunday, 06 Aug 2006 15:22:09 -0500


Russ, I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and I realized why I hated law school so much. First, let’s stipulate that everyone hates law school to a degree. Working off of that assumption, what bothered me was that other people didn’t seem as put out by it as I was. You know that I am not a bitter person in general. But law school made me bitter, at least towards law school. When I got out of my car everyday, it was like a black cloud appeared above my head, and followed me around until I got back out to my car after class, when all of the sudden the world would be sunny again. But no one else seemed to be like this. They all said they hated it, but then turned around and spent all their time with other law students, and joined clubs, and generally seemed to make the best out of it. And I couldn’t bring myself to make the best of it, so I was even more put out by it. Does that make sense?


From: Russ
To: Mike
Subject: Re: Why I Hated Law School
Date: Sunday, 06 Aug 2006 15:39:43 -0500

I don’t know if I follow you. What do you expect, everyone to make suicide pacts?


From: Mike
To: Russ
Subject: Re: Why I Hated Law School
Date: Sunday, 06 Aug 2006 15:43:21 -0500

No, what I am saying is, my problem wasn’t just law school, it was jealousy. Everyone else seemed to hate it too, but they made the best of it. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t make the best of the situation. I wish I could have sucked it up and found a way to enjoy it, but I couldn’t. And because other people could, I was jealous which made the whole thing that much worse. I guess part of it was my stubborn nature, part of it the degree of bitterness that had already built up. Some people can make the best of a bad situation, but I couldn’t, not this time. Maybe my coping skills suck.

I would have been a terrible addition to Ann Frank’s attic.


From: Russ
To: Mike
Subject: Re: Why I Hated Law School
Date: Sunday, 06 Aug 2006 15:49:12 -0500

Yeah, that makes sense.

Mike: “Hey, we're in here! I can't stand it anymore! ‘I believe that people are really good at heart?’ Are you crazy?!?!?!”