Wednesday, July 06, 2005

An Actual Legal Post

Getting ready for work today, I was struggling with delinting my suit, picking out a tie, washing the stain out of a white shirt, and finding my hard leather shoes. It occurred to me, I should have been a lifeguard.

But as a law student, the wheels of my brain kept turning. Why couldn't I be a lifeguard and an attorney. I check for the little mail symbol every 30 seconds while I do legal research. Why couldn't I also scan the pool every 30 seconds while I do legal research? If some kid struggled underwater for 30 seconds while I determined that another of the 99% of all paragraphs are irrelevant, the kid would build character.

But as a cynical law student, the wheels of my brain kept on turning and I imagined this scenario:

Partner #1: Russ, you've done excellent work. You've billed over 2600 hours. You're on track to do big things around here.

Partner #2: Um, my colleague, must be mistaken. In the process of racking up those hours you managed to ignore my colleague's drowning son. Sometimes there are things more important than billable hours.

Partner #1: Hrmph. There may be an opening for Partner very soon.

Russ: Plenty more sons where those came from, sir. Right?

Partner #1: Ha, Ha, Ha. It's so funny you say that, my 4th wife is pregnant.

Partner # 2 (Scowling and thinking): I wonder if there's a law school that needs a legal writing professor.