Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Seana Story #1

I like to think that I have a pretty sophisticated ear for humor, as this blog hopefully can attest to. The funniest person I have ever met in my life is not myself, Mike, or any of my other preppy white fratboy friends. It was a petitte black woman who I worked alongside with at a minimum wage job, her name was Seana.

In college, I worked in the kitchen at a low-end Italian restaurant (you know, the kind that mostly does take out). I was the only college student working there and at least 50% of the employees were on work release (a program where you are released from prison early so you can live in a half-way house and work in the hottest and noisiest of jobs).

For me, it was like living two lives that never intersected. For example,

College Friend: My dad won't sign off on a disbursement from my trust fund. Doesn't he know how important spring break is?

Restaurant Friend: Medicaid won't cover prescription pain relievers so everyday I'm in constant agony. I guess it's for the best because my sponsor says the pain relievers might trigger a relapse.

Anyways, my fellow employees were severely damaged people whose company I sincerely enjoyed. None, more so, than Seana. While she barely cracked 5'0" and 100 lbs she constantly cracked me up as she employed the foulest language I have ever heard.

Management had put up a sheet where we had to request time off and give an excuse for that time off. Looking at it, I noticed that Seana wrote, "Tuesday, May 17: Because I damn well said I needed time off," followed by, "Wednesday, May 18: Religious Revival."

I later walked up to Seana and said, "How was the religious revival?"

Seana rolled her eyes and said, "Do you believe that shit? We gotta say why we need the damn time off! Next time I'm going to tell them that I need the day off so I can swing from the chandelier and shit on the dining room table!"