Thursday, March 31, 2005

Law School Success: The Lazy Way

If you want to attend law school, but you don't want to put in the hard work required to be successful, you have one option that The Princeton Review doesn't tell you about: Attend your "safety" school.

When trying to decide where to apply, find out what the school's top quartile LSAT score is. If your score is in the top quartile, you should consider attending this school. Like it or not, the LSAT measures your intelligence. If you are in the top quartile at a particular school, you start off being smarter than at least 75% of your classmates. That goes a long way towards a high class rank, and thus, law school success.

How do I know? Because I am currently attending my safety school. I ended up here because I liked the location and they threw a 50% scholarship at me. I quickly figured out the law school game, and by the second semester of my first year, I was doing significantly less work that my classmates. Now, as a 2L, I'm ranked in the top 15% of my class, and I only spend about 2 hours per week on school stuff. While my classmates spend their afternoons trying to keep up on reading, I am eating Quiznos and watching Naughty Amateur Home Videos on the Playboy Channel.

So, take it from me: If you want to do well in law school without having to expend too much energy, attend your safety school.


Russ's Addendum: Mike's probably right. I did very well on my LSAT and got into my reach school. Now I'm filling out the meaty end of the curve. Mike has as many opportunities as I do and he seems to have more fun (he certainly does less work). So while he regales me with stories of daytime TV and high quality fast food, I look forward to eating Subway and (you don't want to know what the low-quality equivalent of Naughty Amateur Home Videos is).