Monday, August 29, 2005

The Dollar Dance

I recently attened a wedding that featured a dollar dance. For those of you who don't know what a dollar dance is, let me explain: At weddings between more "rustic" individuals, at some point during the reception, the bride will dance with the wedding guests...for a small fee (usually a dollar). The first time I witnessed this phenomenon, at a wedding a few years ago, I was appalled. The next day, Russ and I and some other friends were sitting around, making fun of the tradition, when our good buddy Brett from Blafayette spoke up.

Brett: Hey, it's just some people's tradition. If I was getting married, my grandparents would probably come up and hand us a thousand bucks during the dollar dance.

Me: Brett, I can't think of a less classy way to give someone a thousand dollars...except for sticking it in a G-string.

(Note: To his credit, Brett has come around on the matter, and recently blasted a couple who had a dollar dance at their wedding.)