Saturday, October 08, 2005

Let Me Hear Your Body Talk

I still have to get 240 hours of work done for my clinic! My professor says she'll count any hours for a "class" that could be applied to the clinic. Then she mentioned some classes that were occurring soon. One of them was "Acting for Lawyers: The Art of Body Language." I went to that one.

The body language class's theme was how to make a good impression using body language, ostensibly for interviews. They showed you how to shake hands, make eye contact, etc.

Frankly, this class was lost on me. I smile and say hello to everyone I meet (specifically, attractive women) and I've been accused of "talking with my hands" (which, when you're 6'3" can create a windmill-like effect).

At the end of the class they handed out a feedback form. This is how I filled it out.

1. Did you find this class helpful?

No. Not at all.

2. Were your expectations met by this class?

I had no expectations. Surprisingly, I'm still disappointed.

3. Tell us what you thought about the class. What can we do better next time?

Only in law school would they teach a class on the logic of body language! If you haven't already worked on your body language to attract the opposite sex, you're never going to for just an interview. No job is that good. Let's face it, good body language comes from self-confidence and poise which is, largely, a function of physical attractiveness. This class would have been better served with a makeover.