Monday, October 17, 2005

Story Contest Winner

Due to an overwhelming response, it took me a while to get through all the stories that were submitted. But I have chosen the winner, from a reader named Maggie. She wins the honor of seeing her name in print on this blog. So without further ado, here is her story:

This woman, we'll call her Eliza, is probably in her early thirties (although I am bad at guessing ages) and for ten years taught English in Japan, which is pretty cool. She is white however, and looks her race. Now for class she dresses like a normal nerdy person with no fashion sense, but for any school function/party/dance (yes we have law prom) she shows up in kimonos. She managed to con two other interesting classmates into wearing them to the local Japanese restaurant. I took all this as her just being one of those quirky people in life--she uses a rolly bookbag (which she shamelessly rams into your achilles heel as she scurries to class), she drinks rice milk out of a mason jar, ect-- but then I heard a story about her job this summer. She was working for a firm up in a big city and they had some big meeting with higher-ups and clients, where professional attire would have been appropriate. Most people were wearing suits even. I shit you not, she showed up in a kimono.

Good work, Maggie. The idiocy of law students never ceases to amaze me.