Sunday, April 24, 2005

Ann Coulter


Ann Coulter: 80% calves

Some liberals have been upset that Time Magazine chose to put Ann Coulter on their cover. What's the big deal? They put Hitler on the cover, didn't they? And he didn't even have to show his legs to help bolster his arguments.

I have to say that I really dislike her, though. I'm admittedly not well versed in her opinions as I've never read her books but I've seen her on TV saying outrageous things several times. Besides just her opinions, here's what really bothers me about her; she's a statuesque, blonde, arguably beautiful, white woman who was raised by a good family in New Canaan, Connecticut, and to top it off she's very bright (Editor of University of Michigan Law Review). She has won every single one of life's lotteries and yet, instead of humbly enjoying her good fortune, she has the gall to make a living criticizing the less fortunate.

Of all the right wing pundits that conservatives have at their AM dial or Wal-Mart bookshelf, why do they listen to her? Doesn't she upset even them? I can understand listening to Rush Limbaugh. Rush's a guy who's admittedly had to struggle with his weight. So, at least, he can speak to overcoming obstacles. In fact, Rush is so devoted to demonstrating the human capacity for improvement that once he lost all the weight, he conveniently humanized himself again by developing a drug addiction.

It's just easier to get lectured by someone with their own faults. Then you can at least think that they know where you're coming from. This is why people love George W. Bush, he's never claimed to be perfect. Even his biggest critics have to admit that he at least pretends to be compassionate.

Considering the bevy of user-friendly and sympathetic conservatives to idolize, why does she have any appeal? I don't know but I do have my suspicions (something about her screams "dominatrix" but that probably says more about me than it does about Ms. Coulter).