Thursday, April 28, 2005

Interviewing Fun

A few weeks ago I had an interview with a Personal Injury firm. The interview began with me talking to a young associate who graduated from my school a few years ago. After discussing the firm and my qualifications, he brought one of the partners in to meet me. Our conversation diluted into pointless small talk when the partner asked me what I thought about tort reform. I hadn't thought about tort reform since the November elections, and even then I never thought enough about it to form an opinion. But considering my audience, I improvised and told them why I was strongly opposed to tort reform, although I'm not sure if I made much sense.

Partner: "Wow, you sure feel strongly about this. I heard they have a tort reform club over at your school. Is this true?"

Mike (not wanting to dig myself in deeper than I already was): "I don't know. They have a club for everything."

Partner: (laughs) "There sure were a lot of clubs. I didn't have time for too many."

Mike: "Yeah, I can think of better ways to spend my Thursday lunch hour than meeting with the Elder Law Society."

Associate: "I was president of the Elder Law Society."

Mike: "Oh ...(awkward pause) Well, it's really gone downhill since you left."

Needless to say, I didn't get the job.