Wednesday, April 06, 2005

On the scene, our live action correspondent, Jim Runningbear

After watching "Anchorman", It's good to see that the local news is now more fully integrated to reflect it's audience. I'm surprised that there's never been anything ugly said between broadcasters during the idle banter they use for filler. This is probably because the white broadcasters respect and acknowledge the differences in their African-American, Hispanic-American, and Asian-American colleagues.

There is one minority in this country that, bewilderingly, still seems to get no respect, Native Americans. Whether it's dressing up like one for a basketball game or a gay disco band, no one really cares about stepping on the toes of Native Americans. I guess they think, "What's the worst that could happen, my Native American friends might shun me?".

I wonder what would happen if a Native-American did work in a local news broadcast and what pithy banter would ensue.

John Armstrong: And now to the weather, with Jim RunningBear.

Jim RunningBear: Get out your umbrellas. It looks like rain this weekend.

John Armstrong: Whoa, Jim. I thought we told you not to do one of your dances last night.

Jim Runningbear: John, I'm Cherokee. Rain dances are a Lakota tradition.

John Armstrong: Looks like somebody didn't smoke'm their peace pipe this morning.

Jim Runningbear: This is getting really offensive.

John Armstrong: Well, my producer's giving me the signal, so we're moving on to sports. The Cowboys slaughtered the Red Skins today...

Jim Runningbear: Go to hell.