Wednesday, March 29, 2006

One Year

Today marks the one year anniversary of our blog. People always ask how and why we started blogging, so for this special occasion, I'll tell you.

If it isn't clear from reading, Russ and I attend different schools. We are friends from undergrad, and we both entered law school at the same time. Our entire first year and up until this time last year, we used to email back and forth, making fun of the various aspects of law school. A few times, Russ suggested we start putting these observations on a blog. I didn't know what a blog was, so I let it go in one ear and out the other.

Then one day I went to meet with our career services guy about my summer employment situation. Natually, it was not at all helpful, and I was frustrated. So I sent Russ an email to vent my frustrations. This email was my version of a career services guy working for the Sopranos. Russ emailed me back saying "That's it, we are starting a blog and putting all this stuff up there." An hour later, I had an invitation to join "Barely Legal: The Blog", and he had made my Sopranos email the first post. So without further ado, and because I am lazy, here is that first post.


Exerpt from the script of the premiere of next season of the Sopranos...

[Scene: Upstairs at the Bada Bing; Pauly and Silvio are playing pool, Tony is at his desk, and has just gotten off the phone.]

Silvio: Who was that, Ton?

Tony: My cousin Bobby. He is back in town and wants to get back into the business.

Pauly: Bobby...Was he the one who got busted for the bank job in '89?

Tony: No, Bobby used to run with me and Silv when we were teenagers, but then he went straight and put himself through law school. He spent the last few years working as a career advisor or something. Anyway, he's a smart guy and could really help us out.

Silvio: What are you going to have him do?

Tony: You know that kid Vinny who has been doing odd jobs for us? Well, I think he's ready to get out there and start earning. I'm going to have Bobby show him the ropes.

Silvio: You think thats smart? Bobby hasn't been in the game for a while...

Tony: Hey, Bobby is a bright guy, and he knows what to do.

[Scene]

[Cut to: Bobby (played by Alec Baldwin) and Vinny sitting in Bobby's car]

Bobby: Okay kid, you are getting promoted to street soldier. No more shit jobs for you, eh...(laughs)

Vinny: I guess, so what do you want me to do?

Bobby: Well kid, you need to start earning. You got to get your name out there, offering protection to businesses and such, in exchange for a piece of their profits.

Vinny: Sounds good, tell me who to collect from.

Bobby: Whoa, not so fast...You got to get your own clients. I mean, I have a few guys who have asked us for help, but those jobs typically go to more experienced guys. You need to get your name out there.

Vinny: How?

Bobby: I suggest you get a list of local merchants and write them letters. Let them know who you are, what you want to do, what you can do for them, and how much your services cost.

Vinny: Really? Letters? How many?

Bobby: The more the better. You might send out hundreds, but it only takes one positive response to get you started earning. Be creative. Ask your parents if they have any friends who need protection. Use your connections. Remember, you aren't the only kid looking to get started with this business. You have to work at it.

Vinny: Anything else you can tell me?

Bobby: Well, I can give you the names of some former guys starting out who have since been promoted. They might have some ideas.

Vinny: Sounds great, Bobby. Thanks.

Bobby: You bet kid, now get out there and earn!

[scene]