Tuesday, March 14, 2006

SBA Elections

It's SBA election time, so my hallowed law school is now covered with posters for candidates. Do these posters outline policy points? Do they list resumes of accomplishment? No. They are bubble shaped letters covered in glitter of the names of the candidates. That's it.

To me, this is a tacit acknowledgement by the candidates that this election is nothing more than a popularity contest. I'm not against being friendly and well liked, but can't you acknowledge that you are those things without an election? At our age, I should hope so.

I think it's safe to say that the use of high school graphic arts points us to the source of this need for acknowledgement-high school. Let's be honest: We're law students so we were nerds in high school. Don't be ashamed. That's what got us here today. After all, what's the point of achieving any success if you already attained the adulation of your peers at age 16?

My too-cool-for-school girlfriend said it best when I told her that my ex-girlfriend used to watch the WB show "Popular," "Nobody who was popular would ever watch a show about being popular."

So when I vote (and I won't), I'll hope that the cowering wedgie victim that lurks inside every SBA candidate will finally find some peace once they're fulfilling their duties as Treasurer or Secretary.