Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Exam Dress

During exam time, personal attire changes greatly from the regular semester. During my exam the other day, I noticed four interesting people that caught my eye.

First was the girl who forsakes any sort of style for comfort. During the semsester, she is always presentable but not overdressed, always fashionable but not trendy. Come exam time, she operates under the assumption that her grade will be inversely proportional to her level of dress. She was wearing bunny slippers, scrubs from her 1998 sorority formal and a long-sleeve t-shirt that she had clearly stolen from some guy. She wore no makeup and her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail. She still probably was dressed better than most of the guys in there. All this time, I thought women were fundamentally a better looking sex than men. Turns out they just put more effort into it.

The next person that I noticed was the guy who clearly forgot to do laundry in preperation for exams. After he had gone through his nice clothes and then his out of season clothes, all that were left were his really old clothes. His style could best be described as "salute to 10th grade". This guy has on a pair of basketball shorts that are a little too short, and a t-shirt that is a little too tight. It is completely possible that he decided to wear his high school gym clothes to the exam and look over his outline one more time instead of doing a quick wash.

The next guy who drew my attention away from my exam was one of those guys who always dresses up for class. What caught my attention was that he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and jeans instead of his usual charcoal slacks and blue dress shirt. It was really surreal, sort of like when you were a kid and you ran into your teacher at the grocery store.

However, there was one guy who dressed up for the exam. I literally thought about this guy for five minutes before I snapped back to the question I was on. The exam was at 9am on Saturday morning. It was to last four hours. And he had on freshly pressed dress pants and a crisp collared shirt. I couldn't get over it. The whole time I was wondering if he had a matching stick up his ass.