Thursday, May 26, 2005

There Is Wisdom In His Foolishness

Not too long ago I was at home, and went out to eat with my parents. At the restaurant, on the way to the restroom, I saw a former high school classmate waiting tables. I was never really friends with this guy, but we knew each other well enough that I had to acknowledge him. Meetings like this are always awkward, especially when the other person asks what I am doing, and I have to reveal I am in law school. I approached carefully, hoping to get out with just an exchange of 'hellos'. But he seemed to be in the mood to chat, and I was stuck.

He asked what I was doing these days, and I sheepishly replied that I am in law school. "Wow, that great", he said. "I really wish I had done things differently in college and done something like that. You know, make a lot of money. That would be sweet." I informed him that it isn't that great, and that, in fact, it sucks. I then inquired what he was up to. "Right now, just waiting tables, saving cash. Then this Fall, I'm moving to Colorado to become a ski instructor. It's something I always wanted to do." I told him that sounded great, wished him luck, excused myself and continued to the restroom. Along the way, I realized that this guy has it together much more than I do. He knows what he wants to do and is doing it, while I hate what I am doing. He seemed envious of me being in law school, and I am just as envious of him and his quixotic life plans.

I find it ironic that this guy sees law school as a path to personal success, and thus, happiness, while I, having just finished my second year of law school, consider dropping it all, moving to Colorado and becoming a ski instructor a path to personal happiness and thus, success.