Monday, May 23, 2005

High School Memory

In high school there were always a couple kids who seemed kind of...damaged. They'd walk around school with their shoulders drooping, a big sour puss face, wearing a dirty black T-shirt. Pre-Columbine, you could flick tightly-wrapped paper footballs at them in class and they would pretend not to notice. At the time, I was way too young to wonder why they acted that way, I just chalked it up to being "weird."

Well one day, I got a little more insight than I wanted.

In chemistry class we started off really slow, learning what a mole is. The teacher even played a song about it which I remember to this day, "A mole is a unit or have you heard, six times two to the twenty third." Then we all had to submit a drawing of a mole doing something that involved the word mole (if it's not clear, yet, I went to a really bad high school)

I submitted a picture of a mole in a bowl of chips and called it, "GuacaMOLE." I remember my buddy doing a picture of a mole with a golf club titled, "MOLE in one."

The weird kid gave the teacher a picture of a little mole with a nervous look on his face. Behind the little mole was a bigger mole who had his hand on the little mole's shoulder. He titled it, "MOLEst".

Addendum: Of course, this got around the school and the kid said he wasn't molested. He was just making a concerted effort to be weird.