Thursday, May 12, 2005

Job Dissatisfaction

Lawyers have one of the highest job dissatisfaction rates of any profession. I wonder if fictional TV lawyers are just as depressed about their careers? I bet they are! In fact, here's what I think "Law & Order"'s Jack McCoy would say about his job satisfaction:

Let me tell you, kids, sometimes your career doesn’t work out the way you thought it would. When I was your age, I was a civil libertarian brimming with optimism. A young peanut farmer from Georgia stole our hearts and Archibald Cox was no longer the face of justice in America.

I had a choice to make, the lucrative world of private practice or the slow steady ladder of public service. Let’s face it, I didn’t have the John Edwards babyface that juries sympathize with. Rather, I had a craggy visage that demanded justice and, therefore, went into the DAs office. I figured, put in my seven years and Cuomo will put me on the bench where I can start enforcing the civil liberties I cherished.

Man, was I wrong. Who knew New York would elect Pataki the Republican? I'm getting passed over for every half-wit conservative they can find.

So here I am stuck in the same job after 15 years. And it’s really terrible. They bring in one ice queen after the other to work with me. But she’s great compared to my boss. He’s always waiving that flag pin on his lapel at me while he tells me “to erase the 4th amendment from my vocabulary,” in that stupid southern accent of his. How did he get this job in New York City? If I’m not listening to Lonnie Brisco’s rambling metaphors during case briefings, I’m at the bar explaining my misgivings over having to try cases that carry the death penalty. It’s not even a secret that I’m miserable, anymore.

Maybe, I should give it all up and join one of those Crime Scene Investigation teams? Those seem to be popular.