Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Daydream Believer

I don’t talk on Instant Messenger with readers as much as Mike does. Probably because I’m a jerk. Here’s an example of a conversation I had with a female reader.

Russ: Do you know what kind of law you want to practice?

SportySpice: I’ll find something around here to pay the bills until I can get my dream job, a sports agent.

Russ: Well, the WNBA is experiencing a rise in popularity.

SportySpice: WNBA? No way. I want to represent Major League Baseball players.

Russ: Wow. Have you worked for an agency yet?

SportySpice: No. My uncle is in the league and he’s been asking around for me. Nothing's panned out for me yet, though.

Russ: Are there any female sports agents in the major leagues.

SportySpice: No, I checked. I’ll be the first.

Russ: So, you’re a graduating 3L in the middle of your class, at an average law school, with dubious connections who wants to break into an industry virtually every male attorney would trade clerkships or six-figure salaries for..

SportySpice: Exactly. I know the odds seem slim but I can do it.

Russ: Interesting. Hey do you remember how in elementary school they told us that any of us could be president?

SportySpice: Yeah.

Russ: Do you think that statement is true?

SportySpice: Obviously not.

Russ: Do you think it’s actually cruel to get kid’s hopes up if there is, in fact, no hope of them being president.

SportySpice: Totally.

Russ: Well, I’m not going to insult you like your teacher did. Sporty, you will never be Jackie Robinson of female sports agents. Move on with your life and stay realistic.

SportySpice: Go to hell.