Monday, May 15, 2006

Family Conversation

(Outside Grandma's House)

Mom: Don't tell Grandma you aren't taking the bar, at least not yet.

Me: Sure thing.

(At dinner)

Grandma: So Michael, what kind of degree did you receive?

Me: It's a JD, Grandma.

Great Aunt: What does that stand for?

Me: Juris Doctorate, I believe.

Grandma: So you're a doctor now?

Me: No...Well, techincally, I suppose, but no lawyer ever could get away with calling himself "doctor".

Grandma: Well why not?

Me: I guess it would devalue the whole meaning of "doctor". Most anyone who has gone to law school will tell you that it's kind of a joke.

Grandma: Oh, it can't be a joke.

Me: Well, maybe not a joke, but certainly not worthy of being called a doctor afterwards.

Great Aunt: What is an esquire?

Me: I think it's an actual lawyer.

Grandma: Like you!

Me: Well, not exactly. I would have to pass the bar first.

Grandma: When do you take the bar?

Me: Uh...well...

Mom: Who wants cake!?