Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Rarely Speak Up In Class

... but today in family law we were discussing whether an incest relationship would be constitutional under Lawrence v. Texas (consensual homosexual sex is constitutional). Lots of people put in their two cents about how it could harm the family, children, etc. These arguments were all moot if the two incestors were consensual adults who did not have kids.

Finally, I had to raise my hand and speak:

"There's got to be a difference between the moral repulsion that maybe 50% of the population has towards homosexuals, that has essentially become a 'you say tom-A-to, I say tom-a-to,' thing, and the feeling that 99% of us share: this relationship in this situation is disgusting."

After class, an editor of the law review (Federal clerkship next year, etc) came up to me and said, "I really think you hit the nail on the head with what you said."

Modestly, I replied, "I don't stand up for many issues but I am 100% against uncle fucking"