Monday, February 20, 2006

I recently ran into an old friend of mine...

...who graduated from law school last year, and we had this exchange.

Friend: Are you getting ready for the bar?

Me: Actually, I'm not taking it. I decided that being a lawyer just isn't for me.

Friend: Then why put yourself through law school?

Me: Well, when I made that realization, it was too late to just quit, so I am sticking it out and getting the JD.

Friend: It seems to me that if you are going to go to the trouble of law school, you should at least practice law.

Me: Think about it this way: If you hooked up with some girl you didn't like, and she got pregnant, would you marry her?

Friend: Of course not.

Me: Exactly. You already made one mistake and paid the price, why would you exacerbate that mistake by making a second, much bigger mistake?

Friend: I see your point. I guess it's a smart decision.

Me: Of course it is. Speaking of smart decisions, lets drink a few more beers and then go to the batting cages.