Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Bad Reason for Attending Law School #2

“I have a worthless undergraduate degree”

College Senior #1: Hey man, what are you doing after you graduate?

College Senior #2: I am going to be working as a CPA, you?

College Senior #1: I don’t know yet, I went to the career fair last week and there weren’t very many booths that were looking for an English major with a Poly Sci minor.

College Senior #2: Sorry to hear that. Who would have thought that a guy with a 3.3 and a humanities degree from Big State U. would have so few options?

College Senior #1: I know…I really wish I had picked a practical major, like business or engineering. But they told me that with a humanities degree, I could do anything.

College Senior #2: Well, they were correct, sort of. In theory, you can do anything with any degree, but you have to get that degree from a really good school, or if not, you have to be really exceptional, which you, my friend, are not. No offense.

College Senior #1: None taken….Hey! I just had an idea! I should go to law school!

College Senior #2: Hmm…do you want to be a lawyer? Does that interest you?

College Senior #1: Sure, why not? How bad could it be? They take people with any educational background.

College Senior #2: That’s true, but do you want to be a lawyer? Do you know what law school is like and what it entails?

College Senior #1: What’s to know? Instead of going out in the real world and trying to find a job that interests me, and work really hard to get to where I want to be in life, I’ll go to law school, get a great job and make tons of money, and live it up with my “worthless” degree.

College Senior #2: Let me get this straight...A guy who hasn't done well enough in undergrad to make himself employable in any field except for sales thinks he is going to go to law school, a very competitive and rigorous program of study, and come out on top with one of the relatively few high paying jobs?

College Senior #1: Yeah....What could possibly go wrong?