Thursday, November 17, 2005

Another Way To Be Lazy

My rant yesterday about asking guest speakers questions brought on a few dissenting IMs, one which struck me more than others. The reader said "you should try and learn a lot from guest speakers because they are probably experts in their field". I told this (cough...dork...cough) reader that if I am not interested in the field to begin with, then I am not going to care what some expert says. "Then maybe you are just intellectually lazy", the reader told me.

This stung a bit (although I'm not sure why), so I asked Russ.

Me: Russ, do you find most guest speakers to be pretty boring?
Russ: Yeah, unless it's a topic I am really into, which rarely happens.
Me: But if it's not...who are these people who get so into it and ask poignant and incisive questions?
Russ: I don't know....nerds?
Me: Well that's a given...but if we don't care, does that make us intellectually lazy?
Russ: Probably.

Okay, so it's confirmed, I am intellectually lazy. Add that to the list of physically lazy and emotionally lazy. Up next: Mike tackles metaphysical laziness.