Sunday, November 06, 2005

Russ: A Gracious Winner

I'm in a clinic, so my state lets me try cases on behalf of the clinic's clients. I had the good fortune to try my first jury trial this past friday. What's more, I won!

My opposing counsel was a somewhat famous attorney in the local community, named "Bob Cohen" (fake name for my pseudo-anonymous blog). He was very gracious and not too brutal with the objections, and I really appreciated it. He also congratulated me on a job well done.

My opposing counsel's second chair (sort of an emergency attorney every trial attorney has on hand) also congratulated me. "Second Chair" was nice enough to shake my hand and say, "Congratulations, now you can tell everyone that you beat Bob Cohen."

I returned "Second Chair's" hand shake, smiled, and said, "Don't worry. I'll mention you, too."