Saturday, November 12, 2005

Back to the Basics

Earlier today I went to the Buffalo Wild Wings (aka BW3) on campus to continue my weekly tradition of gorging myself on Saturday afternoons. I was starving, and as I tend to do when I am hungry, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I waited in line, got up to the counter, and ordered 16 boneless wings and some potato wedges. The cashier tried to enter my order, but she became confused, and said, finally, "Um, I'm sorry sir, our boneless wings only come in orders of 8 and 12". Since I eat there at least once a week, I was fully aware of this. I looked at her for a second, hoping she would figure it out. When I realized she wouldn't, I said, very softly so as not to embarrass her, "Eight plus eight is sixteen."

Who was this cashier who was a bit slow on the uptake? A high school dropout? A prisoner on work release? Nope, an undergraduate student at my esteemed university.

(But to be fair, her math skills are at least on par with the average law student.)