Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

This is the last week of classes at my school, which means that my favorite part of the law school experience is fast approaching: Exams.

I love exam time for a number of reasons. First, as you know, I am forced to attend classes, so exams bring an end to my daily required presence and affords me much more free time to spend as I please (which this year will include playing NCAA Football 2006 on my PS2, watching the new Seinfeld DVDs, and emptying out my Tivo).

Second, being the fan of observing human behavior that I am, exams bring out the best and worst and funniest of people. Today, I saw a few 1Ls who had the thousand-yard stare, always a precursor to a freak out. Also today, a classmate and I overheard another 3L talking in detail about his 18-hour per day study schedule. We had a laugh at his expense and concluded that if you are a 3L and still need to study for 18 hours a day, you are in big, big trouble (or just a dork).

Third, in an effort to avoid actually doing work, I tend to clean my apartment with great detail. While others may be memorizing rules of evidence or jurisdictional splits in domestic relations law, I will be scrubbing my bathtub and cleaning out the little egg holders in my fridge. I may not learn those rules or splits as well as the other students, but everytime I go into my bathroom, it will be sparkling, and everytime I open my fridge, my eggs will be nice and clean.

Okay, at this point I realize that most of you reading this may hate me now because you are slaving over outlines or stuggling with key concepts or are stressed out to the max. But remember this: Exam time (read: adderall) also brings out my creative side. So I will be able to post numerous stories and observations to hopefully brighten your otherwise boring and stress-filled days. That's my promise to you, the reader. And if you still hate me for my devil-may-care approach to exams, remember this: Don't hate the player, hate the game.