Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Kroger's Chronicles #7: The Boss's Daughter

The manager who I reported to directly was a woman named Judy. Judy was about 40, with dyed blonde hair, a fake tan, lots of makeup and a suspected boob job. She was attractive, if not genuine. She was originally from Tennessee, and was undoubtably a piece of ass when she was younger. I suspect that she got by on her looks until some local former high school quarterback knocked her up and left her, causing her to have to get her associates degree and get a job as an assistant manager of Kroger's. A few weeks ago, Russ speculated as to how Jack from the song 'Jack and Diane' turned out. Judy was certianly how Diane ended up...but I digress.

Judy has a daughter who was a year older than me, named Danielle. She worked at Kroger's too, although not often. She usually worked one shift a week in the cosmetics department, and helped out in the video department on occasion. One day, her and I were working together and I was flirting hard, and she was eating it up. This girl, being her mother's daughter, was also quite attractive. I didn't really think I had a shot with her, so I just put all my chips on the table.

At one point, Judy came back to the video department and pulled her daughter aside. They talked for a moment, and Danielle came back to work. "What was that about?", I asked. "My mom said to stay away from you, because you are a troublemaker." I was a bit taken aback at this. "Me, a troublemaker?", I thought.

I continued flirting, and at the end of the shift I asked Danielle if she wanted to do something. Despite her mother's warning (or, perhaps, because of it), Danielle said yes. We went and got dinner, and in sticking with the tradition of being her mother's daughter, fooled around in my car.

The next time I worked, Judy gave me the death look as soon as she saw me. It was quite apparent that she had caught wind of what transpired between Danielle and I. I went back to the video department and started working. On this particular day, I was bouncing a tennis ball against the wall to keep myself occupied. About a half-hour after this started, she called down to me and said, sternly, " Mike, I want you to stop playing with that god-damned ball and get back to work NOW!"

"Judy", I said, "Is that any way to talk to your future son-in-law?"

At this, she went into a blind rage of cursing and Tennessee slang, while I tried not to laugh. When she was done, I hung up the phone and went back to bouncing my ball.