Friday, September 30, 2005

Why I Am An Idiot

In making my schedule for this semester, I saw the possibility of very easy days on Monday and Wednesday, and easy days on Tuesday and Thursday. The cost of this was having four Friday classes, including three in a row starting at 9:30. I did a Posner-esqe risk/utility analysis and finally concluded that it would be worth it.

I was wrong.

Today was the second time (and first time since the first week of school) that I went to all three Friday morning classes. Running on five hours sleep and a iced venti mocha from Starbucks, I endured the most brutal three hours of my law school career.

By the end of the first class my bladder was so full of the aforementioned iced venti mocha that I sprinted to the men's room and challenged the American record for longest pee.

By the end of the second class, my eyes hurt, my head hurt, and I was seriously considering using the third of four allowed absences in the third class, even though I know of two days I will miss later on.

By the end of the third class, I was sitting all the way back in my chair, leaned way back, my eyes closed, my sweatshirt over my head, starting random applause after classmates gave thier opinions on some aspect of professional responsibility. As soon as the professor wrapped things up, I was up and out the door before anyone else had even closed their books.

And I felt this way after three straight hours of class. Which makes me wonder, how did I ever get through four years of high school?