Monday, September 12, 2005

Russ vs. World Council of Churches

Being an agnostic isn't easy in George Bush's America. My complete ambivalence about the belief system of others has landed me in trouble before. I knew it wasn't going to be the last time.

I'm on a clinic at the law school where we get work assigned to us through our in-boxes. A few days ago I got some big packet in my in-box and was thinking, "What the hell is this? I don't have time to do this," until I realized that it wasn't meant to be assigned to me but rather to "other law student."

Feeling a false sense of accomplishment, I swaggered over to "other law student" and dropped the giant work load in front of her and said, "Hey. Guess what? Christmas came early for you."

She gave me a squirrelly look and said, "Um. Thanks."

Then I remembered something. She was the president of the Jewish Law Students Association. My stiff WASP's upper lip curled with embarrassment. I felt like Matt Damon in "School Ties" only not as smug.

Stay tuned for my story about spending Passover with my Jewish girlfriend's family where I asked if I could drink Elijah's wine if he doesn't show up.