Friday, December 23, 2005

A Christmas Post (of sorts)


Ike, recovering nicely

My holiday break took an unexpected turn this week when my beloved dog Ike came down with pnuemonia. Don't worry, he will be fine, but as part of his treatment, I am supposed to put him in the bathroom and run a very hot bath in order to create a lot of steam, which will help to break up the stuff in his lungs and facilitate a quick recovery.

My gas bill last month was through the roof, and I am supposed to do this for Ike at least twice a day. Since his vet bill already set me back a cool grand, I didn't want to run up this month's gas bill even more by running hot water a few times a day. So I came up with a solution, of sorts. Two times yesterday, I took a very hot shower while Ike sat in the bathroom breathing in the steam. This obviously worked, as he did cough up some junk all over my new bathmat. And when I got out of the shower, my skin was bright red from the hot water.

I didn't quite picture my Christmas as being all mistletoe and eggnog and whatnot, but needless to say, I didn't picture it being scalding showers and dog phlegm either.