Wednesday, December 07, 2005

One Hit Wonders

Not too long ago a friend of mine sent me an excited text message: "ME AND ALLIE ARE AT THE BAR AND STROKE 9 IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!"

My response was: "Who the fuck is Stroke 9?"

She she called me, and in the way that only drunk girls can, starting singing: This is the story of a girl...(unintelligible)....I absolutely love her....WHEN SHE SMILES!!!!!!

Their off-key singing, as bad as it was, refreshed my memory of the song, called Absolutely (Story of a Girl), a pop-rock song that seemed to be a hit back in 2000. Then she went on to tell me that her friend, back during their heyday, had met the band and they sung their hit song to her personally, and that she got autographed CDs and even some drumsticks. Her friend was telling the band all about it, hoping to refresh their memory. "But they don't seem to know what she's talking about", my friend told me.

Astute followers of pop music have likely already recognized the problem... Stroke 9 did not sing that song. That song was done by the band Nine Days. Stroke 9 had a hit around the same time period called 'Little Black Backpack'. Her friend, due to several apple-tinis and the hodgepodge of mediocre "rock" bands in the late 90's/early 2000's, had heard the word "nine" and confused Stroke 9 with the band who once sung their hit to her. I learned all this when I googled Stroke 9.

I thought about telling my friend about their mistake, but I decided to see how it played out. The next day, she called me and I asked how Stroke 9 was. "Good", she replied, sheepishly. "We kept talking to them and Allie started singing their song. They got all offended and told us that that wasn't their song and that we were thinking of the wrong band. Then they left."

Several minutes later, after I stopped laughing, I reassured her. "Those guys are idiots. It probably isn't everyday that two hot girls want to hang out with them in a bar."

"Yeah, you're probably right", she said. "Plus they acted all creepy, like they thought we were going to go blow them in the tour bus, which WAS NOT going to happen....Okay, I have to run, I'm meeting Allie for lunch."

"Have fun", I replied. "Maybe if you're lucky you'll run into Harvey Danger."