Saturday, December 31, 2005

Bollywood

A friend of my girlfriend and I's is Indian-American and is still pretty in touch with her roots. She tried to shed some light on Indian culture for us by showing us a "Bollywood" movie. I figured why not, I'm Canadian and I'd enlightened dozens of Americans regarding my heritage with the classic, Strange Brew.

"A lot of this is in English, so it'll be easy to follow along," said the friend as she put it in the movie.

Some dialogue was in English but who could follow it with all the bright colors, dancing, and singing which was definitely not in English? Was the guy in the turquoise turban the hero? Were the two gorgeous raven-haired women the same person? How does the guy dancing with the scimitar not cut himself?

Finally, after half an hour of singing and dancing in Hindi, I broke down and asked the obvious question, "Which one of these guys is supposed to be Danny Zucco?"