Friday, December 16, 2005

Grandma

Mike is a good grandson. It makes me realize that I haven't done anything nice for my grandma, lately. So, I've decided to make her day and spend $30 getting a membership to MENSA, the elite organization for people who are in the top 2% of the world's IQ distribution or as they humbly call themselves, "geniuses."

Apparently my LSAT score of 163 qualifies me for MENSA membership. If I'm what passes for a genius these days, don't expect any of the world's problems to get solved any time soon.

A membership to MENSA for myself seems like a weird present for a grandmother doesn't it? Maybe I should have stuck to knitting needles or those crystal dishes she likes to put ribbon candy in. But, if you'll look below at what I think will happen you'll realize what a thoughtful grandson I really am.

Scene: A nursing home in Canada

Esther: What's that you've got there?

Russ's Grandma: A card from my grandson...THE GENIUS!

Esther: That reminds me, my son the doctor will be visiting this weekend.

Russ's Grandma: Reminds you? Why is he a genius, too?

Esther: Well, I'm sure he is. He's a doctor!

Russ's Grandma: Well if he was a genius, I'm sure he'd be smart enough to get his genius certified like my Russell did.

Esther: Bah! Every since you got that "World's Greatest Grandma" T-shirt you've been qualifying everything.

Now, don't you all go out getting MENSA memberships this holiday season to please your grandmothers. If you want to make her happy, tell her what she really wants to hear, "I switched to Medical School and am going to marry a person of (insert Grandma's ethnicity) descent."