Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Contest Winners

We had a pretty good response to our exam story contest, so much so that it is hard picking just one winner, since exam freak outs are so funny. No one topped the torts guy, but that's okay, I didn't expect anyone to. That being said, quality writing is the key to an entertaining story almost as much as the underlying story is. The winner of the contest, as you'll see in a bit, wrote her story better than anyone else did. With the torts story, I rewrote that to get the full comic effect, but I don't feel like doing that for all these stories. So I'll just give you my very brief synopsis of the six runners up, and then the winner, as it was sent to us.

#6- Worried 1L gunner brings his laptop to read on the toilet.

#5- Two girls left crying after Contracts prof tells class he is not afraid to fail anyone.

#4- Girl attempts to take a seat during exams, 'Seat Nazi' freaks out, saying he has the perfect set up and she will ruin it.

#3- 1L in men's bathroom after exam, vomiting all over self

#2- 3L asks prof for assurance that everything will be okay, mutters "she said it will be okay" over and over after getting assurance.

#1- 1L girl strung out on stimulants soils self during exam, does not leave to clean up, to dismay of fellow test-takers.

And the winner is from a reader named Courtney...

I was at the library circulation desk the other day (getting copy of Examples and Explanations for Agency law), and a particular 3L was there waiting to reserve a study room...I hadn't been there early enough to hear the beginning of the conversation, but the circulation lady told him that he looks like Paul Reiser

He slammed the book closed, looked at her and screamed, "I hate it when people say that. Now I'm going to fail all my exams!", and then he stormed off. The circulation desk lady just sat there stunned for about five minutes before she managed to find the book for me. I heard what she said, and she definitely meant it as a compliment.

I don't know that it beats the torts story but I find it funny for two reasons:

1) what the hell does looking like some famous person have to do with law school finals? and 2) THIS GUY IS A 3L!! Tantrums and storming off are only for 1Ls...

Good work, Courtney. You win a limited-expenses paid trip to come hang out with me for a weekend, where we will eat BW3, drink Miller High Life and have a few romantic "misunderstandings", as we talk and laugh about law school and life.