Wednesday, January 11, 2006

An Experiment

My First Rule of Law School: The only day when you need to be early to class is the first day, so you can ensure that you get the seat of your choice. Far too many lazy students have slipped into the classroom just as the prof is about to begin, only to find that their seat choices are limited to the first few rows, right in the line of fire. A corollary to this rule is that if you miss the first day of class (like I did this semester), or arrive too late, you forfeit your right to bitch about where you sit. Luckily, my classes have been filled with ambitious 2Ls who keep back row seats vacant, and I have assumed my typical spot in the back.

In one class, the prof likes to call on lots of people, and to have lots of participation. I dislike both being called on and participating. So I have a plan: I am not going to put my name on the seating chart. I'll sign the attendance sheet each day, and take my seat in the back right corner. But she won't know who I am, and hopefully, she'll leave me alone. If I can pull this off, I will have found a loophole in the entire seating chart universe.

Or, as Russ put it, "You are one step closer to being the Phantom of the Law School".