Thursday, January 19, 2006

Recent Exchange

Mike: What is the appeal of Law School Prom, Barristers Ball, or whatever the fuck a school decides to call it?

Russ: I have no idea.

Mike: It seems to me like a concession that your social life has hit rock bottom. People always complain that they hate law school, so why go to a dance with all the people you can't stand to be around?

Russ: What if prom kept getting extended further and further on into your life? The Insurance Adjustors Ball?

Mike: I can understand maybe if the school is in a tiny town with nothing else going on, but I tell you what, if your town is big enough to have a Chili’s, I guarantee you can find something better to do.

Russ: Chili’s?

Mike: I am going so far as to say that an evening a Chili’s would be better than Law Prom. Anyway, my first year, some girl asked me in casual conversation if I was going, and I said “no”. Then the guy next to me said, “You answered her question like she asked if she could take a dump on your laptop.” So you can see how much I want to go.

Russ: Fair enough. It’s just silly. Is it special to wear a suit? We’re going to be attorneys, they wear suits everyday. Maybe we should just make female attorneys wear evening gowns to work and that will be the end of it.